Some people are goals orientated, while others are not. As Bloggers there is always so much stuff we feel we should be doing, so having goals helps us to focus our attention and efforts in a worthwhile direction. Would you get in the car without any idea of where your going? Probably not. So your blog should be no different.
So what is a goal? A goal could be big or small, but it needs to be measurable; otherwise how will you know when you have achieved it? Why do you want to achieve this goal? Answering this question will help you figure out whether you are focusing on the right goal for you.
Why do you need goals?
As I mentioned at the start, goals give us a sense of direction, they can help us narrow our focus and they can also be motivating.
Goals keep us going
All bloggers can get stuck in a rut from time to time; having goals will remind you of what you want to achieve and could work as an incentive to refocus and crack on.
Achieving is motivating
Setting goals and achieving those goals is super motivating. Remember how you felt when you broke through a milestone follower number or reached a certain rank? Whatever your goals, however big or small, it does feel good to achieve. You can then feed this positivity back into your blog and your new set of goals.
How to set achievable goals
O.k, so now you have decided that you need goals, how do you make sure you can achieve them?
- Focus on goals that matter to you – So your blogging mate may have 1 million Pinterest followers, but if you don’t really like Pinterest and it doesn’t float your boat, then don’t make it one of your goals (for now at least). Find something that matters to you, fits in with your blog and makes sense in terms of where you want your blog to go.
- Pick a few goals, but don’t overwhelm yourself – If you pick ten goals to achieve in a month, chances are you probably won’t smash them and then you will be left feeling pretty rubbish. So be realistic and pick 2 or 3 things that matter to you most and commit to them.
- Commit them to paper – It is proven fact that those who write their goals down are significantly more likely to achieve them. So what are you waiting for, write those bad boys down!
- Make them S.M.A.R.T – Remember this? Yes? It might be an old concept, but it’s a goodie! Specific, Measureable, Actionable, Realistic, Timely. Making your goals SMART will give the best possible chance of achieving them.
- Decide on short and long term goals – Why do you blog? Do you want to write a book? Whatever your end game is, that is you long term goal. Then your short term goals are steps along the way to this long term goal.
- Keep checking in – Don’t just write your goals down and forget about them. Decide how often you are going to revisit them and stick to it. Maybe on the 1st of each month? Then you can adjust as you go and it is an easy date to remember.
- Share your goals – Telling someone about your goals makes you more accountable than if you keep them to yourself. Your confidant may even be able to help and inspire you to achieving them.
I hope these tips help you to set killer goals for your blog. We would love to know what your goals are, let us know in the comments.