Do you love your blog? We love ours. We all work very hard on our space online and it holds special memories for us. Important family events all marked on our blogs with special pictures and heartfelt sentiment.
How would you feel if it was taken away from you? Someone could hack your blog or your host could have a server failure. In seconds all your work and all your precious memories could be gone. I know that I would be inconsolable. There is something you can do to limit the damage if this happens to you. Backup your blog.
I cannot stress enough how important it is to back up your blog. It is such a simple thing to do and it could prevent lots of hassle, not to mention heartache if the worst ever happened.
If you are on WordPress then there are several plugins available. All you have to do is install one and set it to backup at least weekly. These plugins will all save your database, which will include all your posts, photos and comments.
- Updraft Plus– this plugin automatically backs up your blog as often as you tell it to. The file can be emailed to you or saved to your Dropbox account. This is a popular backup plugin.
- WP 2 DB– this plugin will make a backup and send it to your Dropbox account if you have one. The only problem you may encounter is that once your blog gets bigger you will have to pay for a bigger Dropbox account with more storage.
- WP-DB Backup– this plugin simply backs up your database and emails the file to you.
If you are on Blogger then unfortunately you will have to do this manually. Set a reminder on your phone for each Monday and make sure you stick to it.
- Click on ‘Template’ and you will see ‘backup/restore’ in the top right hand corner. Follow the instructions to backup your database.
- Go to ‘Settings’ and ‘Other’ and ‘Export Blog’
- Doing steps 1 & 2 each week will ensure you are covered if anything going wrong.
Do you backup your blog? What are you waiting for? Do it now!