Last weekend saw me donning my hat and boots and embracing nature at BlogStock 2015. If you haven’t heard of this event then listen up, as you definitely want to be there next year! I’ve written about the event over on my own blog if you want to see what it is all about but am going to share everything that I have learned here on Live. Love. Blog!
Unfortunately I missed the Friday’s talks as we couldn’t get there until late but I made great use of Saturday’s events – I just wish I could have had Hannah and Aby there to go to the other talks. The line-up was outstanding and everyone I spoke to said the speakers were fantastic in each of the tents. I mainly stayed in the Blog To Boss tent as the speakers were so inspirational!
12 lessons from BlogStock
- Find your niche, try and determine what makes you different from everyone else. Once you know your niche you can use Google Keywords to help your SEO on your posts.
- Determine who your reader is – they are who you were a few months/ years ago. So think back, where were you a few months ago and why were you reading the blogs you love now? Your readers love you as you are leading the way- so tailor your posts to them!
- Start a mailing list! You don’t own your Twitter followers, you don’t own your FB likes but you DO own your list. Once you have a list you can use it to engage with readers, link to your posts, use affiliate links and more!
- Death to the Stock Photo is a free tool for getting great quality stock photos. Sometimes you need a great photo for a post but haven’t got the props right? This is a free (or paid for) service and it is fab. Even if you use the photos of inspiration for your own you can’t lose!
- If you have a YouTube channel then make sure your keywords are optimised. YouTube also loves descriptions to be long- the longer the better as Google will crawl it and rank you higher.
- Create playlists to keep people on your YouTube channel longer. The longer people are on your channel the more YouTube will promote you. Win win.
- Post your videos regularly and remind viewers when you are next posting – See you next Tuesday! People love a schedule- YouTube is the new TV!
- Use Vid IQ to analyse your channel, the statistics and what worked and didn’t work. You can also see what others are using for keywords! A great spy tool!
- Ask viewers what they would like to see- YouTube loves interaction and comments and so the more you get the more they will promote you! Viewers also love to get involved and will be more likely to watch you again and again if they feel valued.
- Value yourself and your blog. When charging for reviews and advertorials (the new name for sponsored posts apparently) then aim high. You can always negotiate down but companies will respect you more if you value your time and your worth.
- Remember to live your life so you have something to blog about. Look to children for inspiration- they are full of imagination and can inspire your own creativity. Playing enhances creativity so do what makes you happy!
- When you go anywhere make a note of the 5 senses, it will help you when you come to write about it later on. Mine for BlogStock were: Grass, Chocolate, Laughter, Cuddles and Green. It did help me when writing about it all! Memories are a rich source of inspiration.
This is just a snapshot of the talks, I will be expanding on various points in the coming weeks so keep an eye out for that! A big thank you to Ximena, Alex, Maria and Penny for giving such inspiring talks!