When you start your blog you are probably the only person to read it. Then you may share it with close family and friends and find the odd spike from somewhere in Japan – and let’s be honest, we all got really excited when 10 people may have visited our blog. You join in linkys and share your posts on social media in the hope that someone somewhere would read it and like it, hopefully sharing it on again. As much as we all write for ourselves, for the joy of writing, we also want our posts to resonate with others don’t we?
So who reads your posts? Your mum? Your friends? Other bloggers? Is that enough for you? If you want your blog to gain momentum and do well then you need to determine who your ideal reader is. Who is it that really connects with your blog? Do you cater your posts to them?
I recently went to BlogStock and learned so much in such a short space of time. One of the real pearls of wisdom I came home with was the fact that YOU are your ideal reader. Not the you sitting there right now but the you of a few months ago. When you think about it, it totally makes sense!
Let’s think about it…
Why do you read blogs?
- Maybe you read parenting blogs, searching for help and inspiration for your own children. You want to look to other more experienced parents so you can try out their ideas, learn from their mistakes.
- Perhaps you read blogs that share days out. You want to look at reviews of various places to see whether you want to visit that castle or pay money for that park.
- Maybe you like bloggers that share their successes so you can aspire to reach their level and mimic certain qualities of their blog.
Whatever the reason, you are always looking at blogs and bloggers who have been there and done that. You look to them for ideas and inspiration in whatever category they write about and they help you to improve yourself and broaden your mind. Those bloggers are where you are aiming to be, whether that be as a parent,a partner or a blogger.
So why do people read your blog?
What is it that people look to you for? What are you good at? If you want to find out who your ideal reader is then you need to think about where you are now and where you have come from over the last couple of months or so.
- Maybe you have been through something traumatic, sharing your experience may help someone who is just at the beginning of that journey.
- Maybe you have had a real success at this parenting malarkey, found the secret to a great nights sleep. Share that knowledge and help others just like you!
- Maybe you make the most scrumptious meals or are a dab hand at crafting. People find you through Pinterest as they want to have a go themselves!
Whatever it is, people look to you as someone who is that little way ahead of them, someone to look up to and be inspired by when they they need someone to turn to. So be proud of your blog and know that while you are looking to others, there are others that look to you.
So who were you, that is who you need to write for now!